Filed under: Art and Design at University, Art Progress | Tags: Alphabet challenge, Art and Design Wolverhampton, Black and White alphabet, black and white photographs, C letter, Giffard Arms Pub, Giffard wolverhampton, wolverhampton church, wolverhampton city centre, wolverhampton university, X letter
Today I have been working on one of my University projects, which is to find the letters of the alphabet in places. It can be anything that has not intentionally formed the letter, but you can see the letter in it.
I went into Wolverhampton early this morning and decided to go letter hunting. The project sounds quite easy but I found it quite hard to find a lot of letters – finding simple curved letters like O and C was easy and got more than one, but I struggled to find harder letters with more shape such as Q and B.
While hunting for letters, I found my love for Wolverhampton again. It has been nearly over a year since I moved from there and I realised how much I miss it today. Here are a couple of photographs I took this morning.
And here are a couple of letters I found on the way! I still have a few to find, but enjoying the process. The final piece is to make them all into a poster. I am definitely going to stick to a black and white theme!
Filed under: Art and Design at University, Art Progress | Tags: art and design, Art progress, Artwork, dry point printing, intaglio printing, printing, printing process, wolverhampton university
I thought I would share my first experiences trying out dry point printing at University. When etching my first design on plastic (below) of me and my partner Jamie, I didn’t think that the results would turn out as well as they did. I loved the whole process of dry point printing – I found it a lot easier than screen printing and lino printing, but the results were great. I can’t wait to experiment more.
Above, I first printed the ones that don’t have much shading, as it was my first attempt I didn’t know where to apply most of the ink, but then gradually added a bit more to make the print more effective (below.)
For the process, I wet the paper (so the print can be made) and rubbed oil based ink into the etch on plastic. I then rubbed away the excess ink and added shading with it where needed. I then placed the etching board down and put the damp paper on top. I then put them through the rolling machine, and taped down to dry.
I enjoyed the process so much I decided to do another one. Above is an etch from a photograph I took of a butterfly. I used the same process as above but this time experimented with tissue paper to add colour. As you can see, the print on the right did not turn out as well as I’d have liked, because the tissue paper moved in the printing process.
I will be doing lots more dry point printing next week, and can’t wait to show everyone the results. I am really looking forward to experimenting more with this way of printing, and hopefully putting some in my shop!