Filed under: Art and Design at University, Art Progress | Tags: art process, cat print, dry point printing, etching printing, intaglio, intaglio printing, wolverhampton uni of art and design
Here’s another dry point print, this time of my Cat Izzy when she was a kitten. I have used red ink as well as black this time. Firstly I did a black print, then I experimented a little with the red and black colours. I have done Izzy as a ‘joker’ and one of her red with a black nose.
Apologies for the awful photographs, they are taken with my mobile phone! I just had to share them. I am really enjoying the process of intaglio printing and I can’t wait to do more!
Filed under: Art and Design at University, Art Progress | Tags: art and design, Art progress, Artwork, dry point printing, intaglio printing, printing, printing process, wolverhampton university
I thought I would share my first experiences trying out dry point printing at University. When etching my first design on plastic (below) of me and my partner Jamie, I didn’t think that the results would turn out as well as they did. I loved the whole process of dry point printing – I found it a lot easier than screen printing and lino printing, but the results were great. I can’t wait to experiment more.
Above, I first printed the ones that don’t have much shading, as it was my first attempt I didn’t know where to apply most of the ink, but then gradually added a bit more to make the print more effective (below.)
For the process, I wet the paper (so the print can be made) and rubbed oil based ink into the etch on plastic. I then rubbed away the excess ink and added shading with it where needed. I then placed the etching board down and put the damp paper on top. I then put them through the rolling machine, and taped down to dry.
I enjoyed the process so much I decided to do another one. Above is an etch from a photograph I took of a butterfly. I used the same process as above but this time experimented with tissue paper to add colour. As you can see, the print on the right did not turn out as well as I’d have liked, because the tissue paper moved in the printing process.
I will be doing lots more dry point printing next week, and can’t wait to show everyone the results. I am really looking forward to experimenting more with this way of printing, and hopefully putting some in my shop!